Friday, January 23, 2009

Momma's Boys, American Idol, America's Best Dance Crew, and some non reality shows

In the biggest let down NBC's Momma's Boys ended after about 5 episodes. What I thought would be a show about feuding mothers and their potential mates, turned out to be something so stupid and so over hyped (in my eyes) that I was completely disappointed. The 3 males that the house were after was a Jewish New Yorker, a blond firefighter, and a college pretty boy who seemed to have a racist mother.
The only pleasure I gained from the show was the racist mother yelling at her son for kissing or even having the idea of courting a girl with some sort of tan skin. Her hissy fit on the helicopter was hilarious and made you wonder how much of it was real and how much of it was an act. In the end, almost all of the son's disobeyed their mothers and rode off into the sunset knowing the relationship they started was going to end as soon as the camera's went off. Another annoyance and disappoint to me came from American Idol. In it's 8th season it tried to spice things up by adding a new judge, Kara DioGuardi, but all I could seem to think while watching the show is " I hate this girl, I hate this girl, I hate this girl". I'm not trying to be mean but the character she is portraying on the show drives me crazy. I don't know how genuine she really is when she makes some of her comments. She just gives off some cold persona. I'm kinda hoping that she will make Simon so furious that she will get let go from the show. I guess there is time for her to change my mind but the first impression is leaving me with a pain that says kill her off (even though this is a reality show).
On MTV's America's Best Dance Crew (ABDC), this season is full of unique dancers. I feel the true underdogs is the clogger crew (Dynamic Edition). They have actual dance ability but it isn't the typical. So far they are doing well and I hope they go far but the one group that I don't get, is the twister group from Brooklyn, NY. I am from the city and I can undersatnd NYC love leading to them getting votes since they are like the only group from East Coast/NYC, but they were awful. Don't get me wrong, the tricks were good and the way they move their body is very interesting and amazing, but they look more like a circus act than a dance crew. In their first performance they basically walked around and twisted their bodies, did a couple flips, and just ran across the stage. I'm not a dancer and I'm not saying I know everything about dance but that stunk. They weren't the worst however, GOP dance deserved to leave because they seemed very sloppy. They looked like little boys trying to be ninja's flipping in the air. It does take talent to do what they do but it needed to be cleaner. Anyways, the twisters stink and need to prove to me that they can dance or maybe someone should inform me what kind of dance that is or explain why that constitues as dance. Besides these reality shows, there are others I would like to cover but for now I'll just end with a general Smallville recap/opinion.

Smallville
has a steady fan base because of the characters and the comic book following but the show is getting a little old. I can understand why Tom Welling may be tired of the role and may choose not to continue on with the show after this season (supossedly)but come on, atleast put him in the glasses. I know they plan to do that later this season and I know part of the reason they are delaying these superman qualities is because the show is called Smallville and if they move it to Metroplois, how can it be called Smallville? But it needs to move along. Chloe is back from the fortress and braniac seems not to be a threat anymore, Lana is running around with a not so secret secret, seeing as it seems everyone knows what Lana did besides Clark (which was most likely have Lex's baby), Clark is still trying to find himself and what he's meant to do (although I feel like he's been searching long enough), and odd characters continue to run in and out of the show. The show in general is a little frustrating, but I think there is still life within it, or maybe I'm just aggravated with last night's episode and I am taking it out on them because of that one mistake episode. Whatever it is, I just hope the next episode is better.

In all, those are my opinions on some of the tv shows that kept my eyes burning because I refused to fall asleep.

1 comment:

  1. This is Kristen.
    ~~
    I like the personalities of the people in Dynamic Edition. They are all sorts of precious, especially with their Southern accents. I don't want to get super attached to them yet though because I dunno how America is gonna receive them. Because they don't do hip-hop dancing they may not get the votes to stay in the competition for too long. Especially since the only judge that really gets them is JC. I was SO HAPPY when he made the point that the show is called America's best DANCE crew, not best hip-hop dance crew. Dynamic Edition are hands down the cleanest dancers on the show. It's gonna be hard for them to compete with Hok's group though. They're my fave! And I agree the Brooklyn dance crew needs to go. I'm all for originality and everything, but I don't find what they do entertaining at all. At first I was like "oh, that's cool", but all their moves/"dances" look the same to me.

    I stopped watching Momma's Boys because it started getting on my nerves. Especially since all the mom's started to be racist. They made the Iraqi mom out to be the racist one, but in reality none of the mother's wanted their son with a minority girl.

    ReplyDelete